Winter Nature Tour Hosted by Denver Botanic Gardens
December 7, 2019 10:00 am
Running Time: approximately 2 Hours
Those lucky enough to have hiked Cherokee Ranch know that there are a wealth of habitats and a rich flora that distract your eyes downwards, even as the vistas of the rugged backbone of the Rockies and distant misty towers of downtown Denver tempt you to look further away.
Whoever says winter is the “dormant” season? Wise naturalists know that nature does not sleep, you can now SEE those birds flitting in the bare branches. Buds are set on everything, and there is much more than just bark, branches and berries to liven a walk. You can see two species of Chickadees and Nuthatches that never stop in their search for food and there are a few last lingering hints of flowers. You will be surprised at how many evergreens there really are; not just pines and junipers and Oregon Grape, but many of our native shrubs and forbs keep living foliage and rosettes through the winter: they are still hard at work chlorophyll pumping! You might also be surprised to know that some Dark-eyed Juncos fly all the way from the Pacific Northwest and even Canada to winter at Cherokee. Other winter species include Flicker, Woodpeckers and a resident Red-tailed Hawk. What better time and place than Cherokee Ranch in the bright, winter light.
* Plants don’t really care how you dress for the field trips but BIRDS DO!! It is easier to see birds if you DO NOT wear white or other very bright colors –i.e. yellow, orange or red. Also, bring your binoculars: they can be used for both birds and plants.
* Please wear comfortable shoes and bring your own supply of water for a 2 hour adventure.
*Directions and details for your hike will be emailed to your email address approximately one week before your hike
6113 Daniels Park Road
Sedalia, CO 80135
More Event Ideas
- More Other Events
- Saturday, Aug 24, 10:00 AM
- Saturday, Apr 11, 7:00 AM
- Saturday, Jul 6, 8:30 AM
- More Events at Cherokee Ranch and Castle
- Sunday, Aug 11, 1:00 PM
- Holiday Whiskey Tasting in a 93 Year Old Castle ~Bagpiper & Tour Included! at Cherokee Ranch and CastleFriday, Nov 15, 7:30 PM
- The Most Wonderful Crime Of The Year! Murder Mystery Holiday Show & Dinner at Cherokee Ranch and CastleFriday, Dec 13, 7:30 PM
- More Events on December 7, 2019
- Saturday, Dec 7, 9:00 AM
- Saturday, Dec 7, 5:00 PM
- Saturday, Dec 7, 8:30 AM
What can we do for you?
Thank you for your input. Please fill out the form below and provide as much information as possible about updates to this event or venue.