Strategic Thinking: Shifting Mindsets and Building The Strategic Capacity of Your Team with John Austin
Strategic Thinking: Shifting Mindsets and Building The Strategic Capacity of Your Team With the increasing speed and complexity in today’s business world, the ability to anticipate and see around corners is more important than ever. This workshop helps experienced managers improve their strategic thinking skills, better anticipate strategic needs, and align work with key stakeholders. We practice strategies for more effectively avoiding cognitive traps, managing loosely structured problems, proactively anticipating stakeholder needs, effectively using available expertise, and adapting decisions and initiatives to fit a changing environment. The session will include application of several techniques designed to enable the core leadership actions of anticipating, building, and sustaining strategic momentum. Objectives: 1. Identify and correct for the cognitive limitations and situational pressures that hinder strategic thinking 2. Use uncertainties and proactive forecasting techniques as a source for improved strategic decision making 3. Effectively identify and harness organization expertise 4. Link initiatives with larger strategic objectives 5. Building flexibility into decisions through systematic situational assessments Timed Outline: 9:00 to 10:30: Solving the right problem and avoiding decision traps Solving the right problem Anticipating strategic needs Mindful decision definition Questioning organization assumptions Avoiding decision traps Overconfidence and confirmation The value and risk of stories Application techniques: Blind-spot centering, the decision cascade 10:45 to 12:00: Managing uncertainty and becoming a better forecaster Knowing what we don’t know: Seeing uncertainties Keys to becoming a better forecaster Linking insights and actions Application: Uncertainty vectoring About John Austin, Ph.D John Austin is a professor in the School of Leadership Studies at Fielding Graduate University. Prior to that, Dr. Austin was a Principal at Decision Strategies International and a management professor at Penn State University’s Smeal College of Business. He has taught executives at many leading business schools including Georgetown University, Duke CE, and The Wharton School. John has worked with numerous global companies and government agencies as an executive development resource and is a frequent conference speaker. John has developed leaders and consulted in the areas of change management, scenario planning, team performance, and strategic decision-making.
5345 Landmark Place
Village, AR 71753
More Event Ideas
- More Networking and Meetups Events
- Basics of Accounting and Finance - Enhance Your Abilities and Contribution as an HR Professional at 26468 E Walker Dr, Aurora, Colorado 80016-6104Wednesday, Apr 1, 1:00 PM
- How to Deal with Tricky Employee Absenteeism Issues: Reviewing Policies and Regulations at 26468 E Walker Dr, Aurora, Colorado 80016-6104Thursday, Apr 2, 1:00 PM
- Building Resilience at Work: How to Harness Your Energy to Live a Stress-Free and Vibrant Life at 26468 E Walker Dr, Aurora, Colorado 80016-6104Tuesday, Apr 7, 1:00 PM
- More Events at The Curtis Ballroom at the Landmark
- An Insider’s Look at Money and Capital: Leveraging All Your Resources into Powerful and Profitable Outcomes with Joel at The Curtis Ballroom at the LandmarkTuesday, Apr 7, 9:00 AM
- DecisioNinjas: Building Tomorrow's Generation of Workplace Problem Solvers with Bob Wendover at The Curtis Ballroom at the LandmarkThursday, May 7, 9:00 AM
- Leading Workforce 2030: Trends That Are Redefining The Workplace, The Workers and The Work with Dr. Shirley Adams at The Curtis Ballroom at the LandmarkTuesday, Oct 13, 9:00 AM
- More Events on July 8, 2020
- Wednesday, Jul 8, 1:10 PM
- Wednesday, Jul 8, 9:00 AM
- Wednesday, Jul 8, 8:30 AM
What can we do for you?
Thank you for your input. Please fill out the form below and provide as much information as possible about updates to this event or venue.