Petrified Wood Hike
Hike Difficulty- Moderate
Duration: approximately 2.5 hours
Location: Ranch HQ 5036 S Hwy 85 Sedalia
(not the Castle parking lot)
This hike is short, but rugged, so come prepared with sturdy boots and plenty of water.
Hidden in our rugged backcountry lies Colorado’s largest Petrified Forest. After years of exploration and study, we are ready to share this unique natural wonder with you. Join our geology guides to see these ancient trees up close, examine the fossilized wood and learn about the fascinating process of petrification and our theories about the ancient river that deposited these trees here.
It’s an adventure made especially for those with a thirst for geology and fossils, but you needn’t be a paleontologist to sign up. There is something for everyone and anyone 12 or older is welcome.
All hikes require shoes that protect your feet and pants that protect your legs. We do not allow hiking in sandals or shoes that do not cover your feet. We recommend a minimum of 1 liter of water for every 2 hours of hiking. Most hikes are in open meadows and exposed slopes; so all participants should wear sunscreen. Snacks are recommended for any hike over 2 hours.
**Meet at Headquarters: 5036 S Hwy. 85 Sedalia, CO
6113 Daniels Park Road
Sedalia, CO 80135
More Event Ideas
- More Nature Events
- 2019 Arvada Harvest Half Marathon/5K/10K/10M at Memorial Park aka Johnny Roberts Disc Golf Course and ParkSaturday, Sep 14, 8:00 AM
- Saturday, Jul 20, 4:30 AM
- Colorado Health Navigator Assessment - August 28, 2019 at Center for Advancing Professional Excellence (CAPE)Wednesday, Aug 28, 7:15 AM
- More Events at Cherokee Ranch and Castle
- Sunday, Aug 11, 1:00 PM
- Holiday Whiskey Tasting in a 93 Year Old Castle ~Bagpiper & Tour Included! at Cherokee Ranch and CastleFriday, Nov 15, 7:30 PM
- The Most Wonderful Crime Of The Year! Murder Mystery Holiday Show & Dinner at Cherokee Ranch and CastleFriday, Dec 13, 7:30 PM
- More Events on June 29, 2019
- Saturday, Jun 29, 10:30 AM
- Saturday, Jun 29, 1:00 PM
- Saturday, Jun 29, 11:30 AM